Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Amiga demos

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Amiga demos
** Steve Kirk <steve@???> [2007-11-04 19:01]:
> On 4 Nov 2007, at 12:25, Rob Malpass wrote:
> >I find it difficult to part with old (and arguably classic) hardware.
>
> There's no arguably about it. It IS an absolute classic in every sense.
>
> A lot of old Amiga stuff still gets bought and sold on eBay too.
>
> I ditched my A500 back in the early 90's to buy a 486sx25 with DOS 6.2
> (which I still have!) and still regret it to a certain extent.
> I've currently still got an Amiga A600, with a mighty 2MB ram and an
> 880MB hard disk from an old laptop! Works a treat. If you're ever
> chucking out Amiga stuff, I might be interested! :-)
>
> And I'd certainly be interested in tracking down a PCMCIA network card
> for the A600. I'm pretty sure I've seen them on eBay.

** end quote [Steve Kirk]

The ones advertised in eBay as Amiga PCMCIA network cards are generally
standard cards with an Amiga logo stuck over the card. If you take a
look at Aminet [1] you'll find a couple of drivers for PCMCIA cards[2].
One for 3com cards [3] and another ne2000(cnet) one [4]. You just need
to take a look at the compatibility list and find an old card that
matches. I've got an old Netgear FA410TX, but haven't yet had the time
to get it up and running.

Both my A600 and A1200 are lacking and HD and bracket (although the A600
was an HD verion originally). I have the parts, I just need to fit them.
The A1200 FD is possibly faulty (although when I investigated it had the
metal cover from a floppy jammed in it, so it may work now) and the A600
lacks a FD. I also need to install my 3.1 ROMs in the A1200 so I can in
stall OS 3.9 on the HD. All I need is the time!

Oh, and if you want some real fun you can pick up an old Prism based
11Mbps NIC and go wireless [5]! Oh, and interestingly the Cnet driver
was updated in August this year!

[1] http://aminet.net/
[2] http://aminet.net/driver/net
[3] http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/3c589
[4] http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/cnetdevice
[5] http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/prism2

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: