Re: [Hampshire] Meeting with John Denham

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Meeting with John Denham
Vic wrote:
>> What is the connection between OSS and the environment?
>>

> Is it worth bringing along some old tat & showing it running an up-to-date
> OS, performing useful tasks? I have some candidates for such a piece of
> kit :-)

Whilst I am in _full_ agreement with that sentiment Vic, I wonder how
much mileage it has in the 'real world' where politicians are heavily
influenced by corporations and the same corporations stand to lose out
if we go all soft and green on them?

It should certainly be a component of any presentation, but I wonder if
it should also be balanced by a representation of shiny new kit running
a free (in the broad sense) OS, and a view that there are people
gainfully employed within the constituency installing it, maintaining
and supporting it, coding on it, etc., in much the same way they would
be were there proprietary operating systems running on that same kit. To
summarise, ensure that we don't put across a message that says Linux and
growth are in any way incompatible.

That said I think where local government and education are concerned,
there are certainly benefits to be derived from showing freedom from
proprietary licensing and extending the life of older hardware. Being
cynical, I think these sectors are widely regarded as liabilities as
opposed to assets and as such any savings of this sort are to be
embraced by those holding the purse strings.

Admittedly there seems to be a corporate nod toward green initiatives,
but I can't help but wonder if Big Business Inc. interprets this as,
"Throw away that old environmentally damaging toot and buy our all new
green hardware!" - i.e. the caring face of capitalism!

Gosh, I almost sound like I have an interest in politics there! Rest
assured I don't...

Sean