Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DVB-T channels

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DVB-T channels

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56d96100.hantslug.org.uk.2631': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Dec 5 12:06:08 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 01:47:52AM +0000, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> I have just taken delivery of a portable dvb-t TV. When I auto-scanned
> for channels it only picked up 29 of the available programmes. On
> investigation it CAN read:
>
> The BBC multiplex (channel 23 here), Smile/E4+1/Sky3 etc (ch 26) and
> Five* (ch 30).
>
> It CAN'T read:
>
> The ITV multiplex (ch 28) BBC4 (ch 32) and Film4 (33) are ignored.
>
> When I try manual scan it shows good signal strength on all those
> missing multiplexes (68-70% which is actually higher than the 61% for
> the BBC multiplex) but the 'Quality' is shown as 0% (compared with
> 99% for BBC) presumably indicating it can't decode the stream or
> similar.
>
> We have a DVB-T recorder (Topfield) which gets all the programmes with
> no problem.
>
> Can anyone think of a reason why the new TV might have trouble with
> those multiplexes? Are they a slightly different DVB standard or
> anything?

I'm not aware of any differences in the specs. Note that you're
getting one BBC mux and not the other, so it's pretty unlikely to be a
difference in the data stream.

Other than that, I'm afraid I'm stumped. :(

Hugo.

                        --- argc, argv, argh! ---