Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DVB-T channels

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DVB-T channels
On Wednesday 05 Dec 2007, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 01:47:52AM +0000, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> > I have just taken delivery of a portable dvb-t TV. When I
> > auto-scanned for channels it only picked up 29 of the available
> > programmes. On investigation it CAN read:
> >
> > The BBC multiplex (channel 23 here), Smile/E4+1/Sky3 etc (ch 26)
> > and Five* (ch 30).
> >
> > It CAN'T read:
> >
> > The ITV multiplex (ch 28) BBC4 (ch 32) and Film4 (33) are
> > ignored.
> >
> > When I try manual scan it shows good signal strength on all those
> > missing multiplexes (68-70% which is actually higher than the 61%
> > for the BBC multiplex) but the 'Quality' is shown as 0% (compared
> > with 99% for BBC) presumably indicating it can't decode the
> > stream or similar.
> >
> > We have a DVB-T recorder (Topfield) which gets all the programmes
> > with no problem.
> >
> > Can anyone think of a reason why the new TV might have trouble
> > with those multiplexes? Are they a slightly different DVB
> > standard or anything?
>
>    I'm not aware of any differences in the specs. Note that you're
> getting one BBC mux and not the other, so it's pretty unlikely to
> be a difference in the data stream.

>    Other than that, I'm afraid I'm stumped. :(

>    Hugo.

Me too. I wrote to a couple of other purchasers and at least one has
the same problem so it sounds like a software problem of some sort.
Maybe it's to do with the order of programmes on the multiplex,
perhaps a pay-to-view one first or a radio programme will stop it
recognising the multiplex as valid?

Peter