Re: [Hampshire] Wireless access point recomendations?

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless access point recomendations?
On 05/12/2007, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:
> On 05/12/2007, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
> > Netgear are ADSL versions of units that have similar DSL equivalents.
> > Again obsolete is the 3Com unit that I started with and have used on
> > customer sites. I've been quite happy with this, bar the fact that the
> > unit I have had a hardware failure - it does have a nice long warranty
> > though, so I'm getting it repaired :) Again this is an ADSL unit, and it
> > is the ADSL side has failed, but the customer sites use pure DSL
> > versions of the same unit (that annoyingly have an extra feature that
> > the ADSL one lacks - static addressing on the DHCP I think it was, but
> > it was a long while ago I configured them!).
> >

> What exactly is the "DSL" you talk about.
> DSL to me is just a generic name for "Digital Subsciber Line"
> ADSL is a more specific "Asyncronous Digital Subscriber Line"
> What is "Pure DSL" ?

<wikipedia>
The distinguishing characteristic of ADSL over other forms of DSL is
that the volume of data flow is greater in one direction than the
other, i.e. it is asymmetric. Providers usually market ADSL as a
service for consumers to connect to the Internet in a relatively
passive mode: able to use the higher speed direction for the
"download" from the Internet but not needing to run servers that would
require high speed in the other direction.
</wikipedia>

So it sounds like the A bit of Paul's customer's ADSL box is busted
but being a business user they make more use of the 'pure' (i.e.
upstream==downstream) DSL.

(And yes, my instant thought was 'Damn Small Linux', too!)