Re: [Hampshire] Wireless access point recomendations?

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless access point recomendations?
** James Ashburner <hantslug@???> [2007-12-05 19:38]:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> >On 05/12/2007, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
> >>Netgear are ADSL versions of units that have similar DSL equivalents.
> >>Again obsolete is the 3Com unit that I started with and have used on
> >>customer sites. I've been quite happy with this, bar the fact that the
> >>unit I have had a hardware failure - it does have a nice long warranty
> >>though, so I'm getting it repaired :) Again this is an ADSL unit, and it
> >>is the ADSL side has failed, but the customer sites use pure DSL
> >>versions of the same unit (that annoyingly have an extra feature that
> >>the ADSL one lacks - static addressing on the DHCP I think it was, but
> >>it was a long while ago I configured them!).
> >
> >What exactly is the "DSL" you talk about.
> >DSL to me is just a generic name for "Digital Subsciber Line"
> >ADSL is a more specific "Asyncronous Digital Subscriber Line"
> >What is "Pure DSL" ?
>
> Damn Small Linux: http://damnsmalllinux.org/

** end quote [James Ashburner]

Aha, no, not a Linux variant :) I had to check back through that quote
to work out where I used 'pure DSL'! I was meaning a DSL only router
without the ADSL capability, the models are just a variant within the
same product range, although sady, presumably due to lack of space in
the flash memory for the firmware the odd feature has been removed to
make space for the ADSL features :(

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: