Re: Success! [Hampshire] DVD burning software

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Success! [Hampshire] DVD burning software

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Dunlop" <bob.dunlop@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD burning software

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 06 at 12:00, Rob Malpass wrote:
>> OK - my quest to burn a DVD iso continues but sadly continues to fail.
>> iso. So I downloaded gnomebaker and clicked Tools- Burn DVD image,
>> selected the iso (correct checksum) and literally 3 seconds later, it
>> said
>> it had finished.
>
> Well avoiding the sticky GUI and using the clear CLI I use the following
> command at the root prompt.
>
> cdrecord dev=1,0,0 --speed=1 Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso
>
> Your dev= setting will probably be different use "cdrecord -scanbus" to
> find your device.
> --
>        Bob Dunlop

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
> 05/12/2007 21:29

At long last, I have a "working" Fedora 8 DVD. The winning formula - k3b -
turns out you can run kde applications under gnome.

As I type, the Fedora installer is checking the disk - but given it boots
and gives me a few screens - I'm assuming this will come through ok.

I've downloaded quite a few Fedora images recently (one good thing about ntl
is unlimited downloads) but immediately k3b told me one of them wasn't
correct - something neither sha1sum nor Nero (in XP) had done. However
this does rather beg another question - watch out for another thread on
this.

Thanks to all k3b protagonists for their suggestion.

Cheers
Rob