Re: [Hampshire] rsh question

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
New-Topics: [OT] holiday photographs. [was: Re: [Hampshire] rsh question]
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] rsh question
/Subject: Re: [Hampshire] rsh question To: hampshire@???

> /> Security is not an issue here as the connection is via the directly
> > cabled Heartbeat NIC-to-NIC connection between the two servers.
> /

/
So that's a completely private LAN segment? Or are there other hosts
connected?

When you're spewing out a password in cleartext with enough privilege to
play games with your disks, these things become important. Usually the day
before you realise they're important...

/

> /> Yes, I
> > could use ssh but the customer wants to use rsh and naturally, the
> > customer is always right aren't they?
> /

/
No - the customer pays me for my knowledge and experience. That's why I'd
tell them it's a bad idea to use rsh when the alternative is so much
easier & safer.

Vic.
/
The heartbeat 'lan' between the two servers comprises of a 1m Cat5e cable. Nowt else. The systems are in the same rack (different UPS's) so there is no chance of any snooping of the LAN by other nodes.

Sean,
I have tried to persuade them that ssh is the way to go but (you must be clairvoyant) as you said the system will be moved within the next year to Paris and the Uk team do not trust Les Froggies to run the system even though it is a critical system in their business. They have specified rsh and that is what I'm going to implement but the failover scripts will be easily modifiable to use ssh should they so desire. This will also be fully documented.
After the big battle we had to win this business against 5 different Microsoft partners I really don't want to fight another one at this stage. Perhaps when I get back from Kenya in the middle of Jan I might feel like raising it again.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone in the LG (& beyond) a happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Stephen D