Re: [Hampshire] Documentation of linux systems

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Documentation of linux systems
On Tuesday 01 Jan 2008, Richard Green wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that quite a few of you work in the computing industry and was
> hoping that someone would be able to show me examples of some good
> documentation that you've produced if possible? I'm currently using
> dokuwiki but am expected to write this up into a lab book but am also
> interested to document the maintenance and configuration of my Linux
> server.
>
> I would be grateful of any examples, comments and experiences of
> documentation of linux software and OS configuration, etc.

I find using a wiki is a great way of making documentation during a project. I
think the key is that while a wiki is great for ad hoc and collaborative
work, once it's done you do need to go through it and organise and edit it.
Some people do that within the wiki so it becomes a living document, others
transcribe it to some other medium.

I like web pages on a web server so they are easy to find but others will have
other preferences. Depending on the format you pick, scripts can convert them
into other formats on demand, e.g. docbook can be converted into html, pdf
and man pages easily - if you don't mind writing in docbook (xml or sgml).

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
    -- Albert Einstein