Re: [Hampshire] Documenting Stuff

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Documenting Stuff
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:25:53 +0000
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 17:36 +0000, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > Zim isn't bad, it's a desktop wiki, so it's supposed to be as
> > easy as a wiki but run on the desktop. Similar tools to consider
> > are kjots and some similar GNOMEish tool that I forget the name
> > off.
> >

> Tomboy?
>
> It's a mono app so pulls in more than 10K of dependencies which will
> cause John to reject it out of hand of course.

I do have only a small hardisk (small by modern standards anyway) so
am wary in big downloads.

My main objection is that it is a gnomish type of app and is popped
up from a tool bar to use, me an gnome have never got along.

My preferred window manager doesn't use things like toolbars so would
possibly lose some of the functionality (bloat? that required a 10k
download in the first place)

Zim only needed a 2181kB download. Adam might approve cos they
were libs with a name ending in perl. (It looks like zim might also be
able to sit on a tool bar as it uses libgtk2-trayicon-perl.)

> I love it and use it on all my machines. It can sync over various
> protocols including ssh. That way I can keep my notes on all
> machines up to date.

I'm sure I can rsync my Notes directory that holds the plain text
files that zim stores 'stuff' in to any number of machines if I need
to :-)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server