Re: [Hampshire] Motif Confusion

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Motif Confusion

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56da5100.hantslug.org.uk.21357': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jan 15 20:30:15 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:57:45PM +0000, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> On my Debian Etch machine, I'm trying to install a package with modules
> which:
>
> "....use Motif services and have  a runtime dependancy on Motif level
> 2.1libraries.  Please note  that Motif libraries do not come with all
> Linux
> distributions, so it is possible you will have to obtain and install them.
>      Lesstif is available for download at:
>         http://www.lesstif.org
>      Open Motif is available at:
>         http://www.openmotif.com"

> There I find a series of .rpm downloads which appear to be different for
> each RH platform.
>
> Exploring further, I find a number of (sometimes contradictory) postings
> about the equivalence of Openmotif/lesstif and their availability and
> suitability for Debian machines.
>
> Does anyone have any practical experience of this? I'd appreciate any
> advice.

hrm@selene:~ $ apt-cache search motif | grep 2.1
lesstif2 - OSF/Motif 2.1 implementation released under LGPL
lesstif2-dev - development library and header files for LessTif 2.1

Is that what you're after?

Hugo.

    --- SCSI is usually fixed by remembering that it needs three ---
        terminations: One at each end of the chain. And the goat.