Re: [Hampshire] Motif Confusion

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Motif Confusion
On Tuesday 15 Jan 2008, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> On my Debian Etch machine, I'm trying to install a package with modules
> which:
>
> "....use Motif services and have  a runtime dependancy on Motif level
> 2.1libraries.  Please note  that Motif libraries do not come with all
> Linux
> distributions, so it is possible you will have to obtain and install them.
>      Lesstif is available for download at:
>         http://www.lesstif.org
>      Open Motif is available at:
>         http://www.openmotif.com"

What happened when you tried a search in the stock Debian repository for
lesstif or openmotif?

I get the following on Etch box:
lesstif-bin
lesstif-doc
lesstif2
lesstif2-dev
libpacklib1-lesstif
libpacklib1-lesstif-dev
libpawlib2-lesstif
libpawlib2-lesstif-dev
vim-lesstif

and on my Lenny box:
libmotif-dev
libmotif3
motif-clients
lesstif-bin
lesstif-doc
lesstif2
lesstif2-dev
libpacklib1-lesstif
libpacklib1-lesstif-dev
libpawlib-lesstif3
libpawlib-lesstif3-dev
vim-lesstif

It looks like you should be able to install LessTif 2 and 3 stuff straight out
of the box, and on a Lenny box you should be able to get OpenMotif 3.

Is that helpful?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Deck of Cards: $1.29.
"101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
    -- Shane Lazarus