[Hampshire] Motif Confusion

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Motif Confusion
On my Debian Etch machine, I'm trying to install a package with modules
which:

"....use Motif services and have  a runtime dependancy on Motif level
2.1libraries.  Please note  that Motif libraries do not come with all
Linux
distributions, so it is possible you will have to obtain and install them.
     Lesstif is available for download at:
        http://www.lesstif.org
     Open Motif is available at:
        http://www.openmotif.com"

There I find a series of .rpm downloads which appear to be different for
each RH platform.

Exploring further, I find a number of (sometimes contradictory) postings
about the equivalence of Openmotif/lesstif and their availability and
suitability for Debian machines.

Does anyone have any practical experience of this? I'd appreciate any
advice.

Chris.