[Hampshire] Server side anti-spam

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Server side anti-spam
I'm in the process of putting together a new server side anti-spam
setup, and I was planning to go for dspam to allow me to have a web
interface to customise things on a per domain / per user basis. It was
taken over back in May though and the original NuclearElephant site
seems to have vanished without any replacement from the new 'owners'.
Does anyone know what is happening / has happened to it?

Alternatively what do other people use. I'm based on Exim and have been
using Spammassasin via Procmail. I rebuilt my server a while back and
have been surviving on postive filtering with Procmail for a while, now
a hard drive has died in the box I was setting up to handle the
filtering so I may be back to square one (an easy recovery when I can
get at the box to swap the drive and regenerate the RAID, but I have a
new dual PIII/750 motherboard that I'll be building up and deciding how
to use).

My plan b for the time being may be to use Spamassassin combined with
Greylisting. I'm not a big fan of Greylisting since I don't really want
to have to wait possibly 4 hours for a legitimate mail that is from a
domain that isn't whitelisted, but I'm considering a middle ground
where I greylist based on a mid range spam score. I've not worked out
how/whether that will work nicely on a per domain / per user basis yet.
Mailscanner looks good, but I'm not to happy about the way it has to be
setup with Exim, and I'm not exactly excited about the idea of migrating
to Postfix.

Like a lot of things Linux wise, there's tons of information out there,
you just need the time to read up and inwardly digest it before putting
something together! Perhaps it isn't the best time to be re-evaluating
solutions when you don't have one in place!!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: