Re: [Hampshire] Server side anti-spam

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server side anti-spam
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 at 03:52:55PM +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> I'm in the process of putting together a new server side anti-spam
>
> Alternatively what do other people use. I'm based on Exim and have been
> using Spammassasin via Procmail. I rebuilt my server a while back and
> have been surviving on postive filtering with Procmail for a while, now
> a hard drive has died in the box I was setting up to handle the
> filtering so I may be back to square one (an easy recovery when I can
> get at the box to swap the drive and regenerate the RAID, but I have a
> new dual PIII/750 motherboard that I'll be building up and deciding how
> to use).

I use stock Exim in Debian. I then run Clam-AV (clam-assassin) and
Spamassassin (spamd/spamc) from procmail. Dilivery to the end user
is via Dovecot-TLS (POP or IMAP).

You can hook spamassassin into exim at recieve time if you want, but
I've not done it myself.

I've found that Clam-assassin with added phish.ndb and scam.ndb works
very well, I find the clam filters out more mail than spamassassin at
the moment, by a factor of at least 2.

http://www.sanesecurity.co.uk/clamav/

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Like dreams, statistics are a form of wish fulfilment.
    -- Jean Baudrillard