Re: [Hampshire] Server side anti-spam

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server side anti-spam
** Vic <lug@???> [2008-01-21 16:10]:
> > http://www.mailscanner.info
>
> Does this allow you to filter during the SMTP conversation yet? Or is it
> still an accept-then-bounce nightmare?

** end quote [Vic]

>From what I've read on the website it works by having the inbound and

outbound mail queues separate. The only way from one to the other is via
Mailscanner. This doesn't work too well with Exim since you'll have to
run two instances and configure one to only accept and the other to only
send. It sounds like the design concept isn't suited to filtering during
the SMTP conversation. The two queues is the primary reason I'm not
really considering it, although I have wondered whether to run it in
conjunction with Postfix on a dedicated filtering server. I'm likely to
be using a dedicated server anyway in my DMZ, but I'm not convinced of
the value of using two different mail servers over putting together an
Exim based solution, and one that does a decent amount of rejecting at
the SMTP conversation stage.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: