Re: [Hampshire] Server side anti-spam

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server side anti-spam

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58615100.hantslug.org.uk.12094': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 21 19:25:24 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Paul,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 06:56:45PM +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> I'm likely to be using a dedicated server anyway in my DMZ, but
> I'm not convinced of the value of using two different mail servers
> over putting together an Exim based solution, and one that does a
> decent amount of rejecting at the SMTP conversation stage.

One issue with rejecting spam at SMTP time is that if any of your
users are on mailing lists which get spam, those lists will
eventually forcibly unsubscribe your users thinking their addresses
are undeliverable.

I haven't found a good solution to this, so all I do is collect IPs
of known list servers in a variable. If my Exim is about to issue a
permanent failure in a connection from one of these, and if the mail
sent is precedence bulk or list, I just accept it and file it away
elsewhere instead.

Pretty nasty but as I say I can't think of a better way.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.