Re: [Hampshire] Domestic UPS

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Domestic UPS
Tim B (Systems) wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I'm posting this question on behalf of my mum. And I'm rather hoping that you
> have more experience in this area than I do (ie. any). Essentially, my mother
> is looking to buy my father a UPS (un-interuptable power supply) for his
> birthday, and is wondering which one to get. This will only be for
> residential usage, and it will only provide a safeguard for the server.
> Maplin do two models, and E-buyer do several, but I was wondering if anyone
> has any first-hand experience in this field. If anyone knows of a good
> Linux-compatible UPS that would be great.
>
> Cheers Everyone,
>
> Tim B.

<UPSHorrorStory>
Just don't place the UPS on thick carpet, even if the air holes aren't
obstructed. I nearly lost the house at Christmas to an APC SmartUPS
1000 (under desk model)! I presume there was some sensor/overcharging
error too because the batteries severely bulged out and I could hear the
electrolyte boiling. The UPS case was too hot to touch. It was my wife
who smelt the burning. Good job we were in at the time.
</UPSHorrorStory>

Simon