[Hampshire] [OT]Windows Wireless problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT]Windows Wireless problem
Sorry for the windows Topic

I have a problem with the wireless network on a windows XP on my R51 IBM
laptop. My wireless network comes from a Belkin Access Point. My daughter has
a laptop which connects to the wireless network without a problem. As far as
windows on my laptop is concerned it has connected to the wireless, my access
points confirms that it has a connection from my laptop by registering the
mac address.

But regardless of what windows says I can not see anything on my network, I
can't ping anything and nothing can ping the laptop. If I run ipconfig /all
it returns an error (I have duplicated the network setting on the other
laptop)

I have tried installing a USB wireless adaptor but I get the same problem (the
USB is from my daughters working laptop).

I am thinking there is some sort of internal hardware fault in the laptop, the
OS was reinstalled a couple of months ago, the wireless problem was one of
the reason for the reinstall

I have tried a linux live Cd, but have not been able to make a connection but
I can't say if that is because it is not configured properly or that there is
a broken sub system in the laptop.

Normal ethernet works perfectly.

Any thoughts??

Tim