Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04 is in the wild

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04 is in the wild

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig" <craig@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 7:53 AM

> Glad you're all have such luck.
> Opened up the update manager and clicked on the Upgrade button. After
> about half an hour the Release notes come up. Click upgrade, and it
> successfully downloads the upgrade tool before soon hanging on 'Checking
> Package Manager' on the distribution upgrade.
> Still trying to find a fix - I'm not the only one with this issue it
> seems. Interestingly, this is the same place as the 'Unable to get an
> exclusive Outlook' message box pops up sometimes.
> I guess I'll just keep looking.
>
>> > very stable, only issue I had was with the new version of xorg, but
>> > soon
>> > sorted that out.
>> > Pretty impressed :)
>> >
>> > Glenn
>> >

>> Same here :-)
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
> 24/04/2008 18:32

I had awaful trouble going from 6.06 to 7.1 via the "upgrade" button - but
having done a blank canvas install of 7.1 - it's been (fingers crossed)
lovely and stable for quite some time. I've been playing with 8.04 on a 64
bit box since it was in beta and with one problem - it's worked quite well.

If anyone can help with the following - that would be good - but I'm quite
happy with it.

The problem is either during boot or shutdown - blank screen. It did have
quite a bit of trouble with my graphics card (nvidia GeForce 8400GS) - but
once it's actually in X - it's fine.

Cheers
Rob