Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04 is in the wild

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04 is in the wild
On 25/04/2008, john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:26:09 +0100
> "Chris. Aubrey-Smith" <cas194@???> wrote:
>
> > Why all the rush? I've ordered a CD which I have no doubt will
> > (yawn) arrive in due course, at which time I shall take a look.
> > I'll decide then if I want to bother upgrading from Gutsy.
> >
> > Meanwhile, Etch continues to do everything I need....
>

> long may it continue to do so :-)
>
> and when you want to upgrade a simple edit to /etc/apt/sources.list
> followed by aptitude update/aptitude full-upgrade will (probably) give
> you a seamless conversion to lenny - no faffing about with
> re-installing.

I have had to do upgrades in Ubuntu.
Lesson learn 1: Don't jump versions.
I.e. go from Dapper->Edgy->Feisty->Gutsy->Hardy
Things that change between versions:
1) Hard disk names. Change from /dev/sda1 to /dev/mapper/sda1
2) Wiki database versions.
If you do not jump versions, there are scripts that will automatically
upgrade the database versions, but this script does not work if you
skip Ubuntu versions.

Note: aptitude full-upgrade is not available on Dapper. Only aptitude
dist-upgrade is available.

James