Re: [Hampshire] May and June meetings

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] May and June meetings
<-- Warning: charset 'X-UNKNOWN' is not supported -->

On Wed, 7 May 2008, john lewis wrote:

> On Tue, 6 May 2008 18:02:00 -0400 (EDT)
> Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:
>
>> I'd have though getting duplicate copies of Birth Certificates was
>> rather too easy to make it a good form of ID? But if the CAcert
>> rules allow it then maybe I'll try to hunt mine down (or just order
>> a duplicate).
>
> you can order one online here, cost ??8.00
>
> http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/#0
>
> but since it takes at least 8-10 days you wouldn't get one for
> Saturday

Thanks John, I knew I could do in theory, but hadn't hunted down the exact
URL.

I don't really feel like giving the Government an extra 8 quid for no good
reason though so I'll probably wait until I've given up hope of find the
original first, and as you say duplicate wouldn't arrive in time for
Saturday anyway.

On Wed, 7 May 2008, john lewis wrote:

> It is almost too easy to get a certificate, you can search the births
> index and pick out who you want to be and order a cert without any
> questions being asked as to why you want it.

Yes that is exactly why I didn't consider it a good form of ID. It's
harder to get a credit card with a false name on it than a copy of a birth
certificate...

Then again my current employer's back ground checks before hiring me were
stricter than the checks carried out to get my first passport so in theory
my corporate ID is "better" than any other form of ID I possess, but I
can't see many people accepting it, so I guess it's all about what is
perceived as an acceptable form of ID, rather than anything else.

Andy