Re: [Hampshire] May and June meetings

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] May and June meetings

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58133100.hantslug.org.uk.23663': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu May 8 07:40:52 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 497BD1F48AB6137F
On Wed, 7 May 2008 20:22:59 -0400 (EDT)
Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

Hello Andy,

> I don't really feel like giving the Government an extra 8 quid for no
> good reason though so I'll probably wait until I've given up hope of
> find the original first, and as you say duplicate wouldn't arrive in
> time for

You can order a copy certificate from the GRO as pointed out by
others. What they appear not to have said is that there's a priority
service available (turn-round 24hrs), at a cost of £21.00. Expensive I
know, but if you need it urgently..... Secondly, if you have the index
references, and opt for the ordinary service, cost is only £7.00, not
£8.00. Getting index references is easy enough, but doing it online
usually entails cost, either at a a pay-per-view site, or subscription
site. If you need, I can perform a search, as I already subscribe to
various genealogical sites for this very purpose.

Alternatively, if you live close the place where your birth was
registered, you can go to the Register Office there, and buy a copy at
a more reasonable £7.00

I also note people expressing concern at ease of availability of BMD
certs. There is no need; They all have printed on them, in bold type,
"WARNING: A CERTIFICATE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF IDENTITY". I should know,
I've got over 200 BMD certs!

Finally, it's a legal requirement that BMD certs are available to
anyone that wishes to purchase them, and has been since civil
registration began in 1837.

--
 Regards  _

Why do they try to hide our past pulling down houses and build car parks
Bricks & Mortar - The Jam