Re: [Hampshire] WiFi hotspots

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] WiFi hotspots
On Friday 25 July 2008 22:47:04 Paul Tansom wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of using WiFi hotspots in places like
> Wetherspoons and McDonalds? I'll be in Dorset for a week shortly and may
> need to make use of them, so was wondering whether they restrict traffic
> to just web and mail, or whether ssh is usable. I could ask direct, but
> have a suspicion they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about!

Tried to use WiFi in a hotel up in Yorkshire, and they seemed to
block pretty much anything useful (VPN, ssh and XMPP were all
blocked). The only thing I could find that worked was HTTP/HTTPS.

They didn't have a clue what I was talking about, but did refund
me the cost of using it.

Other hotels have just worked fine with all of the above.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???