[Hampshire] CPU temperature

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] CPU temperature
Hi all

I have a problem with my Sempron 3000+. After a while - it makes a high pitched warning sound - and powers down - I'm assuming this is an overheating problem. Two questions:
1) Is there a Linux (Ubuntu) program out there that will report the CPU temperature? The only way I can monitor the CPU temp otherwise is in the BIOS - which obviously means the CPU isn't going to be working as hard as say it would be when running the hyperspace screensaver
2) I've not experienced overheating CPUs before. I've checked all case and CPU fans are working ok - and the case is free from dust / obstruction so there's no real reason why it should be overheating like this. Could it be a bad chip / bad mobo etc?

Cheers
Rob