Re: [Hampshire] Routers and dropped connections

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Routers and dropped connections
Rob Malpass <lug@???> wrote:
> I'm not sure it's possible to answer this
> question definitively but over the last
> fortnight or so I've been having router problems
> - all sorted by a power cycle. Router is a
> Belkin wireless and ISP is Zen.
>
> Looking in the router logs there doesn't seem to
> be anything amiss - though I confess I don't
> really know what I'm looking for.

Well, post the logs then! Without them, we're just
guessing.

> However when an ADSL connection drops, shouldn't
> the router bring it back up if it can

The modem can be configured to re-establish the
connection, yes, and I think most are by default.
It's worth checking the manual to ensure that your
device is configured that way.

> As such, given it's come back up fine after a
> reboot, I'm inclined to think it's the router
> not the line - am I wrong in this deduction?

It seems unlikely that it's the phone line, but it
could be your router, the exchange line card, the
BT Central, Zen's servers. In terms of protocols,
it could be ADSL, ATM, L2TP, PPP, RADIUS...

That's why we need to see your logs. :-)

Nick.

(It's a wonder ADSL works at all, given how
complex an ISP's network is. That's ignoring the
analogue bit, too.)

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.