Re: [Hampshire] help needed to diagnose computer problem

Author: David Rozzell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] help needed to diagnose computer problem
On Friday 10 October 2008, john lewis wrote:
> My main system suddenly powered itself off yesterday whilst I
> was attempting to browse a website. It restarted again but would
> not stay on. I'd hear a click somewhere in the box and it would power
> off and immediately try to restart. The length of time it stayed
> powered up varied, even to the point I could reload X on a couple of
> occasions.

Hi John

The exact same symptoms on a previous box of mine turned out to be the power
supply on the way out. Luckily I had a spare power supply form another box,
so it was easy to test, but I have also experienced this with an overheating
CPU.

HTH

David

--
FLOSS - Not just for your teeth - Free Linux Open Source Software