Re: [Hampshire] help needed to diagnose computer problem

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] help needed to diagnose computer problem
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:51:21 +0100
Alan Bell <alan.bell@???> wrote:

> power it on, but don't boot. Go into the bios and leave it there. See
> if it powers off. Try booting from a live CD, or try Memtest86 which
> you can boot to from the Ubuntu live CD and probably others.

It boots into bios OK and so far has stayed on (15 minutes so far)

Memtest will run but again have only left it for a short while

It booted into a ubuntu live CD and allowed me to play around with
the demo files and stuff from the hard disk I set up as the master
disk. It only has data on it so cannot boot from it. The system
died when I tried to view a .jpg file from the hard disk.

I have to leave it for now as have curtain rails to install but will
look in from time to time to see if the bios screen stays up

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop