Re: [Hampshire] help needed to diagnose computer problem

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] help needed to diagnose computer problem
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 00:39:38 +0000 (UTC)
Nick Chalk <nick@???> wrote:

> The click and restart strongly suggests a PSU
> protection circuit to me. I've had switch-mode
> PSUs in the past that would click at about 2Hz if
> you drew too much - or too little - current. Each
> click corresponded to an interruption of the
> supply voltage.
>
> The fault may still be with the motherboard, but
> I'd want to check the power supply independently
> first.

Thanks Nick, it would be cheaper to replace the PSU than the
motherboard. If I was still living in Bournemouth it would be easy to
pop up the road to get a replacement, as it is I'll have to order one
on-line.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop