Re: [Hampshire] anyone work with a registered charity?

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] anyone work with a registered charity?
Nick Chalk wrote:
>> I don't really care what price they put on the
>> proprietary software, I would just not like a
>> charity to look at the catalogue and get the
>> impression that they had to lock themselves in.
>>

> True, the advertising of Free Software is worth
> the attempt.
>
> Consider, though, the types of charity likely to
> be looking at CTX:
>
> - Those with no IT support: Probably won't be able
> to handle the complexity of the CTX agreements
> and what MS supply, so are unlikely to use the
> service.
>
> - Those with IT support that don't know about
> Free Software: May be encouraged to try it.

if this is a non-empty set then it is worth doing.
> - Those with IT support that have already decided
> not to use Free Software: Unlikely to change
> their minds just because it's on CTX.

if one of them does change their minds then it is worth doing
> - Those with IT support that already know about
> Free Software: Are already using it, or capable
> of downloading from the source sites.
>
> SSJ fell, and still falls, into the last category.

great
>> If they have the interests of their commercial
>> vendors at heart then what they do doesn't sound
>> quite as charitable.
>>

> >From conversations with them, I think MS, Cisco,
> et al. can dictate their terms. So, whether you
> can get Free Software in the catalogue is likely
> to depend on whether it screw up CTX's agreement
> with MS.

The best outcome from my conversation with them would be that they allow
descriptions of a selected range of high quality, charity relevant, Free
software to be submitted to their catalogue. The second best outcome
would be that they tell me in writing that their proprietary vendors
don't want charities to use Free software. That could get most entertaining.