Re: [Hampshire] Carphone Warehouse

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Carphone Warehouse

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5829e100.hantslug.org.uk.15354': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 2 12:53:41 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 12:42:22PM -0000, Mark Johnson wrote:

> > Linux is still very much considered a technical O/S, and users are
> > considered to be more technically minded than average users. Im sure
> > that most windows users wouldnt know how to trouble shoot. They expect
> > it to work out of the box.
> >
> > I dare you to take a PC or Laptop to a corner shop (or even PC world),
> > say your running Linux, ask for help, and get someone who is a Linux
> > guru. I'll put £1 bet on whether you get a knowledgerable person.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting, but to me it sounds like you
> think that companies selling Linux shouldn't be obliged to know anything
> about it due to it's perceived market?

I think he's pointing out that the fact is that most companies
selling Linux *don't* have anyone how knows about it, whether they
should have or not. Carphone Warehouse have probably realised this,
and are taking steps to bring their technical expertise in line with
their product range -- in the cheapest way possible.

Hugo.

        --- emacs:  Eighty Megabytes And Constantly Swapping. ---