Re: [Hampshire] Carphone Warehouse

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Carphone Warehouse
On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 12:53 +0000, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 12:42:22PM -0000, Mark Johnson wrote:
> >

> > > Linux is still very much considered a technical O/S, and users are
> > > considered to be more technically minded than average users. Im sure
> > > that most windows users wouldnt know how to trouble shoot. They expect
> > > it to work out of the box.
> > >
> > > I dare you to take a PC or Laptop to a corner shop (or even PC world),
> > > say your running Linux, ask for help, and get someone who is a Linux
> > > guru. I'll put £1 bet on whether you get a knowledgerable person.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting, but to me it sounds like you
> > think that companies selling Linux shouldn't be obliged to know anything
> > about it due to it's perceived market?
>
>    I think he's pointing out that the fact is that most companies
> selling Linux *don't* have anyone how knows about it, whether they
> should have or not. Carphone Warehouse have probably realised this,
> and are taking steps to bring their technical expertise in line with
> their product range -- in the cheapest way possible.

>    Hugo.

Thanks Hugo.

Thats the point I was making. There are people / companies that whether
its right or wrong, do see linux as a technical persons OS. Plus as
windows is the main OS out there, technical people working in shops as
pcworld are trained on ms. I have myself been in the situation where
staff in pcworld look at you blankly, when asking about linux.

Its not about whether companies should be obliged to know anything. You
just look at dells website, and see how easy it is to find the dell
machines with linux. Im pretty sure theres no BIG link on the front page
advertising it, you have to hunt around.

Dells market is windows, its where they get their money, gauranteed. And
at the moment linux is still pretty much a niche market. But then it has
taken off like a rocket lately, and hopefully will do even more. But the
general market just dont know about linux.

Most of my friends use win xp, without any anti virus or anything. And
their attitude is "It works, it does what I want blah, blah, blah, why
bother changing ?" So Im impressed when anyone (of any age) tries linux
and can re-teach themselfs about new stuff. Some people dont want to
learn, so bonus points to your dad for trying out linux.