Re: [Hampshire] Vista versus Ubuntu

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Vista versus Ubuntu

----- Original Message -----
From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 1:02 PM

> On Thursday 27 November 2008 22:57:22 Peter Salisbury wrote:
>> The other truly awe inspiring thing is how incredibly slowly Vista
>> runs on a quite powerful laptop with 1GB RAM.
>
> That doesn't look like a 'quite powerful' laptop to me. Given the
> price, it's more like bottom end.
>
> (I'm not commenting on Vista, just on your description of the laptop).

Vista is a hungry beast.   Anything under 2Gb RAM for Home Premium is going
to be slow in my experience.  My wife uses Home Basic with half a gig of RAM
on her laptop and it's painfully slow even surfing and email.    But I've
seen Vista dawdle on Quad core extreme machines with 4Gb of RAM.   Maybe
it's display or network drivers I don't know but having installed it 18
months ago, I've barely touched it.   The changes from XP seem largely
cosmetic so why waste time wondering where they've moved something to - when
you can use Linux. - Ubuntu is my preferred.

Cheers
Rob