Re: [Hampshire] Vista versus Ubuntu

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Vista versus Ubuntu
>> On Thursday 27 November 2008 22:57:22 Peter Salisbury wrote:
>>> The other truly awe inspiring thing is how incredibly slowly Vista
>>> runs on a quite powerful laptop with 1GB RAM.
>>
>> That doesn't look like a 'quite powerful' laptop to me. Given the
>> price, it's more like bottom end.
>>
>> (I'm not commenting on Vista, just on your description of the laptop).
>>

> Vista is a hungry beast.   Anything under 2Gb RAM for Home Premium is
> going
> to be slow in my experience.  My wife uses Home Basic with half a gig of
> RAM
> on her laptop and it's painfully slow even surfing and email.    But I've
> seen Vista dawdle on Quad core extreme machines with 4Gb of RAM.   Maybe
> it's display or network drivers I don't know but having installed it 18
> months ago, I've barely touched it.   The changes from XP seem largely
> cosmetic so why waste time wondering where they've moved something to -
> when
> you can use Linux. - Ubuntu is my preferred.

I have a 2ghz Core Duo 2, 2 gigs ram (see other thread about Fedora 10)
and vista is horribly slow on that laptop, Fedora 8 boots at least twice
as fast, Fedora 10 even faster still. I think the thing that kills laptops
with vista is the disk performance rather than anything else. Using it on
a decent desktop machine is a much less painful experience.