Re: [Hampshire] Vista versus Ubuntu

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Vista versus Ubuntu

On Fri, November 28, 2008 14:26, Rob Malpass wrote:
>> On Thursday 27 November 2008 22:57:22 Peter Salisbury wrote:
>>> The other truly awe inspiring thing is how incredibly slowly Vista
>>> runs on a quite powerful laptop with 1GB RAM.
>>
>> That doesn't look like a 'quite powerful' laptop to me. Given the
>> price, it's more like bottom end.
>>
>> (I'm not commenting on Vista, just on your description of the laptop).
>
> Vista is a hungry beast. Anything under 2Gb RAM for Home Premium is
> going to be slow in my experience. My wife uses Home Basic with half a
> gig of RAM on her laptop and it's painfully slow even surfing and email.

We consider 2GB+ and dual core the minimum for developer laptops,
and they need to run 1920x1200 so they all have decent graphics
cards as well. Hence my comment above about the definition of
'quite powerful'. These are not top end laptops by any means.

As far as Vista goes, it runs very fast on my SOs new PC, but then
it's a shiny new AlienWare box. I don't doubt it's slow on less
well endowed boxes.

> The changes from XP seem largely
> cosmetic so why waste time wondering where they've moved something to -
> when you can use Linux. - Ubuntu is my preferred.

Not an option if you want to play games (hence her choice of AlienWare).

--
Be seeing you,            http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                      xmpp:sam@???