Re: [Hampshire] First impressions of Fedora 10

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] First impressions of Fedora 10
> Things still to test before upgrading:
>
> * 3D graphics
> * TV output
> * Audio playback (mp3)
> * Movie (SD & HD) playback both on the LCD and via TV out.
> * Bluetooth
> * Infrared
> * DVD-Writing

I've now also tested:

* 3D graphics, glxgears gives smooth output and slightly higher framerate
than running on Fedora 8.
* Audio playback (mp3) skipped a little on first play with Amarok, and I
hate the new skin on Amarok (must see if the old one is still available)
but was fine after that.
* Movie playback - SD & HD fine on the laptop's LCD, not tried TV out yet.
* Another note on the audio front, I think I need to tell the intel HDA
driver which laptop type I have as it seems very confused atm, I get mono
output rather than stereo from my speakers (right speaker only).

Enough now works that I will be downloading the full DVD iso and
upgrading, I will also try out the graphical boot - thanks for the tip :D