Re: [Hampshire] First impressions of Fedora 10

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] First impressions of Fedora 10
Stephen Rowles wrote:
> Just a quick summary of my initial impressions of Fedora 10 from a 30min
> play last night using a usb'd version of the live-cd.
>
> Setting the scene:
>
> Acer 5920 with Core Duo 2 T7300 @ 2Ghz, 2 gigs ram, Intel X3100, 160gig
> sata hdd, dvd-writer.
>
> Came with vista home premium, has run Fedora 8 almost exclusively since
> being purchased (dual boot) as other people in the forum have noted, vista
> is just way too slow on a machine of this spec!
>
> Fedora 10:
>
> Boot time is very fast! I'm impressed with the new parallel boot process
> startup time is noticeably faster than Fedora 8 despite running of quite a
> slow usb stick. I like the progress bar, but is text only as the graphical
> one is only supported on ati radeon cards.. roll on intel support :)

Good summary. Anyone wanting to install you really need to scan through
this :-

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Installation_and_Live_Images.html

Notes about disk labelling and differences in mysql so may effect my apps.

New install on a test server had no problems. It looks like I will do a
new install on my main server to ensure a clean install (though will use
a new disk so I can dual boot F9). Will try a laptop next.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk