Re: [Hampshire] Rlogin

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Rlogin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:36:02 +0000, Alastair Biggs
<the_allymysta_uk@???> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Just to give you a bit of a idea about my setup
>
> Ive got a Windows XP machine ( Shinobi) and I'm trying to get it to talk
> to my Linux Machine ( Dragon). I am using Putty to connect from my

Windows
> Machine to the Ubuntu box. I can connect using SSH this works perfectly
> fine. Ok so your now thinking whynot just use SSH and get the job done, I
> am pretty new to Linux, although I can navigate and work around the CLI

i'm
> hardly a expert on it. So I would like Rlogin setup so I can see that GUI
> goodness.

<snip>
> I then went to to ubuntu and under the Rlogin options set the option to
> allow remote connections. Still no results.

I think you're confusing the "Remote Login" option on Ubuntu, which allows
remote GUI logins via remote X sessions and "rlogin" which is an
unencrypted text-based login system. If you want remote access to the GUI
on an Ubuntu system, VNC is probably the way to go.

Tony