[Hampshire] Rlogin

Author: Alastair Biggs
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Rlogin

Hi guys

Just to give you a bit of a idea about my setup

Ive got a Windows XP machine ( Shinobi) and I'm trying to get it to talk to my Linux Machine ( Dragon). I am using Putty to connect from my Windows Machine to the Ubuntu box. I can connect using SSH this works perfectly fine. Ok so your now thinking whynot just use SSH and get the job done, I am pretty new to Linux, although I can navigate and work around the CLI i'm hardly a expert on it. So I would like Rlogin setup so I can see that GUI goodness.

So I fire up Putty in Windows, I have assigned my Ubuntu box Stactic I.P and unique hostname so all is well, SSH works fine. But when I try and connect through Rlogin a black screen appear's briefly then it just closes providing me with no error message, Hmmm the ports not being opened I thought so I went straight into the port forwarding on the router and opened port 513. Logging in through Putty produced a similar result.

I then went to to ubuntu and under the Rlogin options set the option to allow remote connections. Still no results.

Any diagnostic commands I can run to aid the troubleshooting process of this?

I'm thinking about throwing Rlogin out the window and just using SSH.

Many Thanks

Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000001ukm/direct/01/