Re: [Hampshire] Rlogin

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Rlogin

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ffd100.hantslug.org.uk.30704': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Dec 16 18:44:12 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Tuesday 16 Dec 2008, Rob Malpass wrote:

> I've never been sure what PuTTY's rlogin does but if all you want is remote
> graphical access to your desktop, get hold of vncviewer for XP and (if
> running gnome) System > Preferences > Remote Session and click the
> appropriate boxes. Your firewall will obviously need to allow inbound
> connections from your xp box - but if you can ssh in - shouldn't be an
> issue.
>
> About 10 clicks and you should be happily gui'ing in remotely.

The rlogin option on PuTTY is to support an obsolete and very insecure remote
login procedure that shouldn't be used on any modern Linux/Unix system.

For GUI display you basically have two approaches:

1) Share the whole Linux desktop using something like vnc - which lots of
people have already suggested. It's simple and it works well. It can be made
to be secure using SSH or you can run it without security. NoMachine is
another similar but proprietary tool for doing the same.

2) Run an X server on your Windows system (Cygwin or XMing) and then SSH onto
you Linux box and have the graphical output displayed on the Windows box
without taking over the whole Windows desktop.

Either method is valid, it depends on how you want to use the system really.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon