Re: [Hampshire] Rlogin

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Rlogin

----- Original Message -----
From: Alastair Biggs
To: hampshire@???
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:36 AM
Subject: [Hampshire] Rlogin

Hi guys

Just to give you a bit of a idea about my setup

Ive got a Windows XP machine ( Shinobi) and I'm trying to get it to talk to
my Linux Machine ( Dragon). I am using Putty to connect from my Windows
Machine to the Ubuntu box. I can connect using SSH this works perfectly
fine. Ok so your now thinking whynot just use SSH and get the job done, I am
pretty new to Linux, although I can navigate and work around the CLI i'm
hardly a expert on it. So I would like Rlogin setup so I can see that GUI
goodness.

So I fire up Putty in Windows, I have assigned my Ubuntu box Stactic I.P
and unique hostname so all is well, SSH works fine. But when I try and
connect through Rlogin a black screen appear's briefly then it just closes
providing me with no error message, Hmmm the ports not being opened I
thought so I went straight into the port forwarding on the router and opened
port 513. Logging in through Putty produced a similar result.

I then went to to ubuntu and under the Rlogin options set the option to
allow remote connections. Still no results.

Any diagnostic commands I can run to aid the troubleshooting process of
this?

I'm thinking about throwing Rlogin out the window and just using SSH.

Many Thanks

Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???
17:04

I've never been sure what PuTTY's rlogin does but if all you want is remote
graphical access to your desktop, get hold of vncviewer for XP and (if
running gnome) System > Preferences > Remote Session and click the
appropriate boxes. Your firewall will obviously need to allow inbound
connections from your xp box - but if you can ssh in - shouldn't be an
issue.

About 10 clicks and you should be happily gui'ing in remotely.

Cheers
Rob