Re: [Hampshire] Anyone else having serious issues with Fedor…

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Anyone else having serious issues with Fedora 10?
Hi,

Happy new year.

Stephen Rowles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone else having serious stability issues with Fedora 10? I have
> used Linux for over 10 years now and prior to using Fedora 10 I've seen
> maybe 2 kernel oops or complete crashes of the kernel.

I've seen kernel oopses on my FC10. Most of them involved wireless
networking (plug in USB WiFi stick and boom.) The hardware worked fine
on the same box with Ubuntu Hardy. I'm on the same kernel version as you
now and the oopses seem to have gone away on my laptop (Dell Precision
M6300) There are also issues with not being able to connect to WPA2
wireless networks. Googling leads me to believe that this is a fault
with recent kernels and I saw the same when I tried Ubuntu Intrepid live
CD and Mint Elyssa.

I'm also having problems with FC10 stumbling and making the pulseaudio
server hiccup when mouse-overing icons and GIMP taking up to 15 seconds
to change windows or layers under KDE. So I would say that all is not
well on the farm...

> Since upgrading to Fedora 10 I've had 5 or 6 oops and about 4 complete
> system hangs, this is on laptop hardware that was previously running
> Fedora 8 completely stable.
>
> The current state of this release is that I'm seriously thinking of
> wiping it and going back to Fedora 8, even though it is now out of service.
>
> The kernel is:
>
> Linux mini-manicminer 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 #1 SMP
>
> Anyone know of any major problems or fixes in the pipeline? Or is this
> just my problem?

Several of the posts I've found have suggested going into the repository
list and enabling the rawhide repos then doing an update. Rawhide is the
pre-release of the next version and allegedly solves a number of
problems but, being pre-release, may have problems of its own. Since
you're going to wipe the machine anyway, as long as you backup your
documents before doing it just in case, I don't see you've got anything
to lose by trying it. If you're wiping and you've got th etime it might
be worth giving Ubuntu a go for a couple of days to see how that gets on
with your hardware.

Cheers,
Paul.