Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues

> Every few days I have to
> access Webmail and delete all the SPAM emails that are not addressed to
> me.
>
> examples are jeen@.. fred@.. jex@..

There's your problem. You've got a catch-all.

Catch-alls inevitably create problems, as they will accept all the junk
that would normally be ignored. This is what you're seeing.

Not having a catch-all does mean your user list can be enumerated by an
attacker - but IMO, this is a minor problem in comparison to the volume of
mail garnered by having a catch-all.

> Is there a way to download all emails which I can then filter out.

You could use fetchmail or the like to grab everything and reprocess
locally - but a better solution would be just to turn off the catch-all.

Vic.