Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues
On Friday 02 January 2009 14:06:29 john wrote:
> Hi
>
> I got my email address in 1994. I would like to keep it. This presents me
> with problems with SPAM as the address has been in existence for longer
> than ten years.
>
> In the course of 3 days over the new year my address got hit with over 2000
> spam emails.
>
> I use kmail as my email which downloads just my email address and leaves
> all the other email items on the orange email server. Every few days I
> have to access Webmail and delete all the SPAM emails that are not
> addressed to me.
>
> examples are jeen@.. fred@.. jex@..
>
> Is there a way to download all emails which I can then filter out.
>
> John Eayrs

Kmail can be used in conjunction with spamassassin and has built in settings
for the job, it so long ago since I set it up I can't remember how to now. I
seem to remember you have to download spamassassin and then run the spam
wizard in kmail, then just choose a folder where to drop the spam, a little
bit of training and then everything should be working OK. Mine has been setuo
like this for about 3 years.

Tim