Re: [Hampshire] Forum software

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Forum software
2009/1/6 Daniel Pope <mauve@???>:
> Tim wrote:
> But today I got to thinking could we get a way with using a Wiki, is it
>> possible??
>
> With a wiki the quality of the content becomes better over time as it is amended
> and improved and that can grow to be an authoritative reference. However there
> are only simple conventions for dialogue on a wiki that don't make it easy to
> simply ask questions and receive answers.
>
> With a forum, any information is buried in reams of dialogue but obviously you
> can ask questions and receive answers.
>
>> I know of bugzilla which is a rather large and powerful bug
>> track system and mantis.
>
> Trac combines a bug tracker and a wiki.

I was going to suggest trac but Dan beat me to it!
http://trac.edgewall.org/

I have it on Ubuntu; I would imagine that Deb should not be a problem.

It does involve a fair bit of setting up, but there is a very active
support community and it is in use by an increasing number of Open
Source projects. (Even my PHB is impressed with it...)