Re: [Hampshire] Forum software

Author: Tim
To: swesemeyer, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Forum software
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 17:11:54 Steve Wesemeyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009, Tim wrote:
> > I need to enquire on the collective the wisdom of the Hampshire lug
> >
> > I got asked by one of the directors at work if it was possible to setup a
> > forum on our network at work (only internal access) so that our workshop
> > staff can post service messages\questions amongst themselves. We have 11
> > site around the UK connected by a wan. Now I said yes thinking its an
> > ideal time to get a linux box in the door.
>
> Tim,
>
> Before you embark on this, there are a couple of questions that you should
> also ask yourself:
>
> - Are you happy to support this box, ie do the routine backups and usual
> maintenance work on top of your daily work?
>
> - If your company has an IT department looking after your infrastructure
> (which seems to be MS based), are they happy with a box on their network
> that they cannot support when you are on holiday?
>
> Other than that, most FLOSS forum software is PHP based and will usually
> work on a WAMP as well as a LAMP set-up.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will look into them.

I am the IT department at work so I will be looking after it. I have been
wanting to do this for a while and I think it is small scale enough to do
(other projects I have considered using linux have been large scale and not
something I want to be supporting). I think going the linux route would be
better to prove the point that there is free software out there that can
match and beat windows software.

No doubt I will have some questions in the future but I will keep you posted
has to what I do, maybe it could be the basis for a talk at a lug meeting,
bring free linux software into the windows powered office

Tim