[Hampshire] Forum software

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Forum software

I need to enquire on the collective the wisdom of the Hampshire lug

I got asked by one of the directors at work if it was possible to setup a
forum on our network at work (only internal access) so that our workshop
staff can post service messages\questions amongst themselves. We have 11 site
around the UK connected by a wan. Now I said yes thinking its an ideal time
to get a linux box in the door. Now I guess this means running apache web
server, mySQL and PHP as well as some forum software.

Problem is I have no idea about forum software (and very little about apache),
I found phpBB (which I know about from a couple of forums I am subscribed
to). But today I got to thinking could we get a way with using a Wiki, is it
possible?? The 11 site only equals approx. 50 users top and they won't all be
on the system at the same time (there is only 20 PC's anyway). But I am
mindful that this could easily be expanded to other uses so could end up
being used by all staff (200+) but never all at the same time. I am
particularly interested in basic text type (that why I though of the a wiki
as opposed to a forum) as opposed to heavy graphical type.

Further more this also give me the opportunity to get a pet project of mine
off the ground which is a bug track system. This is purely for user to
register hardware or software problems (non urgent) plus suggestions for
improvements. Now I looked into this a while ago but had to stop due to other
commitments. I know of bugzilla which is a rather large and powerful bug
track system and mantis.

While google offers a wealth of information I am interested to hear from those
that use or have a similar setup, personal experience is of greater value.

The only thing that is certain about this project is that my distro of choice
will Debian as that what I have been running for the last few years.

Thanks in advance

Tim