Re: [Hampshire] Am I correct

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Am I correct
Tim wrote:
> now I assume this means I make a folder called mwf in the /var/www/ folder so
> that I have /var/www/mwf/    Am I right??

Yes, but I don't recommend you do exactly that.

The FHS sets out what should go where on a Linux filesystem. That standard
recommends /srv/ for files that are to be served and that kind of thing.
Websites fall into this category.

It's quite handy to do that because /var/ is for data that change constantly.
Using /srv/ for webspace is cleaner when you consider that backup policies and
permissions or whatever else may be different between /var/ and /srv/.

Distros are not allowed to pre-install to /srv/ which is why it's not set up
like that by default. So I'd recommend you copy or move /var/www in into /srv/
first, and then change the DocumentRoot setting in your apache2.conf.

Dan