Re: [Hampshire] Wireless problem.

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless problem.
Ive tried Debian Lenny on a Dell Inspiron 1200 and a Belkin F5D7010
wireless card.

I found that Debian uses the rtl8180 driver for my card, which needed to
be blacklisted. I then had to install ndiswrapper and setup my card on
the net8185 driver instead.

But regards the wireless. I couldnt connect vis WPA2 untill I did the
following :

apt-get install wpasupplicant

gedit /etc/default/ifplugd And add the following to the file:
INTERFACES="eth0"
HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="wlan0"
ARGS="-q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I"
SUSPEND_ACTION="stop"

gedit /etc/network/interfaces
And add the following to the file:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# Wireless... (this section may or may not already exist)
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

gedit /etc/default/wpasupplicant
And add the following to the file: ENABLED=1
OPTIONS="-w -i wlan0 -D hostap -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

gedit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf And replace everything with:

# WPA-PSK
network={
ssid="YOUR NETWORK NAME"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
psk="YOUR PSK KEY"
priority=4
}

After rebooting I could connect with WPA2 without any problems.

Thanks
Phillip

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 20:49 +0000, B STEVENS wrote:
> i get the same problem with debian lenny sometimes, clive, so i use a
> combination of the following commands to get it up and running:
>
> ip link set wlan0 up
> iwconfig wlan0 essid "routername"
> ifdown wlan0
> ifup wlan0
>
> if you can tell me a way of making it permanent (on boot up), i'd
> appreciate it.
>
> regards
>
> bryan

Phillip Chandler
phillip.chandler@???
Mobile : 07948 342882
Voip : 01635 767075

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company the sender represents.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments,
you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them
to anyone.

error.