Re: [Hampshire] Wireless problem.

Author: Clive Woodfine
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless problem.
2009/1/23 B STEVENS <b.stevens611@???>:
> i get the same problem with debian lenny sometimes, clive, so i use a
> combination of the following commands to get it up and running:
>
> ip link set wlan0 up
> iwconfig wlan0 essid "routername"
> ifdown wlan0
> ifup wlan0

Bryan,

I have just had a chance to try the above commands on the problematic
laptop. Great, it worked and I have wireless connection. I am
surprised it did though as no encryption key is entered and ifdown
gave:

root@vaio:~# ifdown eth1
RTNETLINK answers: No such process

eth1 is what the laptop calls the wireless connection. Wired is eth0.

Do you know why this works whereas the GUI network tools although
showing the correct details do not work? I can of course now ping the
router. I will investigate further when I have more time.

Anyway many thanks again.

--
Clive Woodfine